Web to lead is a Salesforce standard feature that enables the user to generate lead records. It is a simple process and an easy way to integrate a website to Salesforce, one can use a system generated code in the HTML of website and that's it.
A very useful example for Web to Lead in salesforce is a Contact us form in a website, where the Name, Address and other information will be stored in the Lead fields when the record gets created.
1. From Setup, click Feature Settings> Marketing > Web-to-Lead.
2. Click Edit to enable or modify the following Web-to-Lead settings:
3. Click Save.
4. To create a Web-to-Lead form, click Create Web-to-Lead Form on the Web-to-Lead Setup page.
5. Select fields to include on your Web-to-Lead form. Use the Add and Remove arrows to move fields between the Available Fields list and the Selected Fields list, and use the Up and Down arrows to change the order of the fields on your form.
6. If your organization uses the Translation Workbench or has renamed tabs, select the language for the form labels displayed on your Web-to-Lead form. The source of your Web-to-Lead form is always in your personal language.
7. Specify the complete URL to which users should be directed after they submit their information.
8. Copy the generated HTML code and provide it to your company's webmaster to incorporate into your website.
9. Click Finished.
You may want to send incoming leads different email responses depending on their attributes.
Set up Web-to-Lead auto-response rules that contain the attributes a lead must have to receive an email template.
Auto-response rules can have multiple rule entries but only one Web-to-Lead auto-response rule can be active at a time.